The famous New York Times Art Critic, John Canaday, provided a one-line synopsis of Clare Ferriter's 1964 show at the Bridge Gallery (61 West 56th Street). He stated the show is:
A low feverishness simmers in murky abstract paintings done in autumnal tints.1.
The painting (Oil on Canvas) carries two titles:
“Totem Pole” and “Three Wise Owls and One Not So Wise.”
This abstract impressionist painting style was started by Ferriter in the 1950s,
and the canvas size is approximately 26” X 34”.
Closeup example of Clare Ferriter’s Signature.
Clare Ferriter, b. June 18, 1913, Dickinson, ND, aka: Patricia Clare Ferriter, and Mrs. John Tilton Hack: 2./ 5.
- Late 1920s attended Massachusetts School of Fine Arts.
- 1931-33 lived in the Philippines, with her military enlisted father, worked as an illustrator for the Manila Times.
- 1935, received her BFA, Yale University School of Art and Architecture, went on to receive her MA in Art, Stanford University (Her thesis covered egg tempera - a Renaissance technique).
- 1937-42 worked at the Bridge Gallery, NYC.
- 1940-42 taught art at Westover School, a private girl's school in CT
- 1943/44 moved to the Washington DC Area
- 1967 became President of the Artists Equity Association, Washington Chapter
- 1967 oversaw the publication/book: Washington Artists Today (AEA-DC Chapter)
- 1966 started teaching art at Catholic University of America
Notable One-Person Shows were held at: 5.
- Bridge Gallery 1964
- Franz Bader Gallery, 1964 and 1976
- Corcoran Museum of Art 1963
- International Monetary Fund, 1973
Notable Group Shows:
- 14th Exhibit of Work Done at Chester Springs, The Country School of PAFA, 1930 4.
- Corcoran (1943 Society of Washington Artists) 4.
- Addison Gallery of American Art 5.
- Harvard University 5.
- Butler Institute of American Art 5.
- Massillon Museum, Ohio 5.
- Westover School, Middlebury, CT 3.
- George Washington University 5.
- Cosmos Club 3.
- DC Court of General Sessions 3.
Select Publications: 3. / 4.
- The Practice of Tempera Painting: Materials and Methods 1936
- The Practice of Egg Tempera Painting: A Student’s Manual, 1936 Stanford Univ.
- Washington Artist Today, 1967
- 1971 Regional Art Show Massillon Museum, Massillon, Ohio 4.
- National Association of Women Artist, 1963 & 66
- Baltimore Museum of Art, 1966
- Society of Washington Artists, 1964, 66 & 72
Ferriter’s archives are at the Smithsonian. 4.
- New York Times, Art Reviews, November 14, 1964
- Ferriter Family Heritage Documentation; The Greater Ferriter Family
- Washington Artist Today, Page 52, 1967
- Internet Searches and Documentation
- 16th Edition of Who’s Who in American Art, 1984, Page 284